Friday, April 17, 2009

Listen to the Mustn'ts


Listen to the MUSTN'TS, child
Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me--
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be.
      Shel Silverstein 
      Where the Sidewalk Ends

Gee. I really love my kids. I hope I don't mess them up too much. This poem makes cry. I pray that my children always know how dearly and whole-heartedly they are loved and that I believe in them. I think that is the key to parenting. I know my parents love me and are proud of me (at least last time I checked) and that has, I'm pretty sure, made me a better mother, a better wife, a better friend. Good parenting goes a really long way, and bad parenting probably goes even further. I'll be sure to let you know, I teeter between the two on a daily basis. I guess we probably all dip into both sides at some point along the parenting journey. I do know this, though, I am blessed beyond what I deserve. Thanks be to God for His Grace, no?

4 comments:

  1. I love this poem too- and your post is making me cry. I don't think it's a question of if we'll mess up our kids, but how. And, I think the damage control is how much we let them know that they are loved- no matter what. I don't think you truly comprehend how much your parents love you until you have children of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that poem too. I was able to recite it without reading it! I don't think there is anyway to mess up those beautiful children of yours. You and Paul are wonderful parents who love unconditionally, and children recognize that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this poem - reminds me of Sharon Wells, my elementary librarian, who always, ALWAYS read us Shel Silverstein. I actually read this the other day and had the same thoughts, Em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily!
    I got your blog address from Ellie.
    So good to "see" you! your babies are absolutely precious.

    I love this post, by the way!
    Well said!
    take care,
    abbie

    ReplyDelete