Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ode to Cyanoacrylate

Super glue. Top glue. Glue your finger to ear glue. The stuff is magic for lots of reasons, but my favorite use (by far) is for repairing my poor fingers. Cold weather + heated home + day job as short-order chef = all these tiny cracks (or fissures) on my fingers. Tons of little tiny paper cuts that can hurt so badly I wake in the night with throbbing hands. Okay, you get my point. But, this stuff is amazing and here is how it works. I learned this trick from my Dad, who has been successfully gluing his fingers back together for years:

1) Wash and dry hands well.
2) Apply a small amount of super glue (purchased from any drug store or local hardware store) directly onto the sore.
3) Allow time to dry before attempting to resume daily activities. (i.e., caring for children, putting on gloves, etc.)*
4) Your sore will begin healing from the inside out and the discomfort just disappears. Brilliant!

*This is an important step. The other day as I was gluing four spots back together on one finger I rushed the process a bit and began making myself a cup of coffee. I inadvertently glued freshly ground espresso beans to my index finger. I wasn't able to remove them for a day, or so.

Super glue is also great for gluing those highly fashionable (yet, very choke-able and lose-able) barbie shoes onto Barbie's feet. Sorry this post doesn't include any pictures, purely informational.

2 comments:

  1. Remember when I sliced my fingertip nearly off at Rainer & Lolly's house chopping herbs for pizza night? That's what Paul suggested I do to fix it, and it turns out, that's basically what the doc in the box did. I'm a believer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a genius. Those blank-ety blank barbie shoes just may have been the end of me. Thanks Em! love ya!

    ReplyDelete