Friday, January 2, 2009

Genetics





This all started around Halloween when Ava Belle, our 2.5 year old, accrued a gross amount of candy in one evening.  I thought, for sure, that she'd eat candy until she made herself sick but, all she really wanted to do was organize her loot, making little rows of like candy. Since then, Ava Belle has been organizing and re-organizing anything that has more than one unit. For example, each kleenex in an entire box of kleenex can be carefully laid out and accounted for, bows, toys, diapers etc. You name it, she can arrange it. And, these 'arrangements' can be found in almost every room of the house. Paul (my dear husband who, how do I say, has strong tendencies towards organization and tidiness) is very proud of this burgeoning 'talent' we see in our daughter. I know what he is thinking, "She's got it! By golly, she's got it!" 'It' being the fairly dominant gene that seems to run in his side of the family, making very orderly folk. A mild victory for Paul. I am not at all knocking on this trait, I appreciate order, I marvel at it, but I just can't make it happen. Must be in the genes. Honestly, seeing this in our daughter does make me appreciate the hardwiring of people, namely my husband. I really don't think he can resist the temptation to clean and 'make nice.' Again, this is not a criticism. Paul is my very best friend in all the world, and I love him despite his crazy cleaning fits. And, I'm pretty sure he loves me through my miraculous messes and sometimes he even loves me for them. And, I'm proud that Ava Belle appreciates order. I'm glad she's like her Daddy. Thankful that she is like her Daddy. We'll see, maybe these funny things she does will help her to become a persevering scientist or even a meticulous cleaning lady someday. Whatever makes her happy. And, prayerfully, one day she'll be as lucky as her dear old Ma and Pa and find someone who will put up with, overcome and absolutely love her 'hardwiring.' 

4 comments:

  1. Em, I love this post - I'm so happy you guys are blogging now - I will definitely add yours to my list of regular sites to visit to keep up with your sweet fam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priceless.
    The Mettenburgs are looking forward to following the life of the Holcombes in blog land. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful wish for her as she gets older. We're all blessed to have found partners who appreciate our own wiring! Also, I love the last pic - is that multiple dresses she's got on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was much more than pictures. And I am glad. You are a closet writer- now is a great time to own up to it, my friend...

    ReplyDelete