Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Responsibilities


So, the other day Ava Belle comes up to me and says, "Hey, Momma? My diaper is pretty wet." I turn to her and, she is holding a very, very wet diaper in her hand. She had already removed it (and her shoes and her tights). She says, "I think I'll just put this in the trash can and go get a fresh one." I say, "don't forget the wipes!" Do you think it's time I potty train her? I mean, come on, if you can change your own diapers you can probably go tee-tee in the potty, or, so one would think. The thing is, I ask her if she'd like the Elmo panties she has, or the Tinkerbelle panties we just had to have at Target and she just says 'no thanks, I'll take the diaper.' I have purchased countless varieties of "potty chair surprises" (most of which I have eaten myself or used as bribery for other more pressing concerns) and still, no go. I know it's the responsibility, or possibly even the accountability, that she doesn't want to manage. And, that's actually the same issue I seem to be having with the whole potty training program too. Responsibility. I already have enough on my hands, is how I see it. Honestly, there are many times when I need to use the potty and I think, "my, I wish I had a diaper," because it's always when I'm juggling things like finding the right remote to play a movie for Ava Belle, nursing Emmett, trying to catch the oatmeal that's probably already overflowing on the stove while listening to the dog eat the rest of Ava Belle's pre-breakfast snack. Oh, I don't know. One day, I'm sure, Ava Belle will be able to juggle the responsibilities of her make-believe communities, frequent costume changes and otherwise general mischief all while making a little extra time for the potty. Somehow I seem to manage it, eventually we all do.

4 comments:

  1. How did I not know you are such a good writer?

    This was my biggest problem with the jump into potty training as well- oh, that and the fact that Jack would throw a fit every time I talked about wearing underwear & sitting on the potty.

    But, seriously, if she's ready (and I think she is!), it will be quick & easy for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Far from a good writer, just a funny little family to write about.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo precious!!! You have a way of putting things. Really, you should eventually try to publish your snippets!!!!
    Love you--Lala

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you are blogging, Em! This is a great way for us to keep with the kids... Love the stories. Ava Belle definitely did get some Holcombe OCD-ness. So funny that you can see it at such a young age! I LOVE those kids of yours!!!!
    EM Jr.

    ReplyDelete